Re: Customization of SQL*Forms.

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 04:08:31 GMT

	First, an obligatory disclaimer:  I get my salary from Oracle
	(so I'm not impartial) but I'm no spokesman (so my words may
	not mean anything).  With that in mind...

sinha_at_watson.bms.com (Anil Sinha) writes:

> Many times there is a need to customize SQL*Forms forms generated by
>the Oracle CASE tools.
	This is normal -- I get maybe 80% of my form logic from CASE,
	and do the rest by hand.  I gather that that's normal.

>Many sites have written awk scripts ( in unix o/s) or
>other utilities to modify the ".inp" file. These utilities help to automate
>the customization procedure.

	Ahah!  The reason you're doing that is because... you modify
	your form (as above), and then for some reason you change some
	aspect of your CASE logical model and thus need to re-gen the
	form.  And in CASE Generator v1 (for Forms) the re-gen stomps
	all over your customization work.  Ouch.

	But using 'awk' should be unneccessary.  Because... CASE
	Generator v2 for Forms no longer stomps on your customization
	work.  It lets you re-generate nondestructively.

>Now the dreaded word going around is that Oracle
>may get rid of .inp files for SQL*Forms 4.0. (????)

        I have a hard time believing that!

	I *have* heard that "fields" are going away, but .inp files?
	Can anybody confirm this .inp file rumor?

	(Yeah, "fields" are being replaced with "items", I think, as
	in "radio button item", "checkbox item", etc.  Something like
	that.)

>Anil Sinha
>internet:sinha_at_watson.bms.com

	Cheers.
	-- Tom
--
Tom Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_netcom.netcom.com
Yeah, I have a day job. They don't believe me any more than you do. Received on Thu Aug 27 1992 - 06:08:31 CEST

Original text of this message