Re: SQL-plus

From: ddf <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:05:01 -0800 (PST)

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Mar 2, 8:02 am, Tim <> wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
> >> Exactly. If I  want to look at the various tables and how they are
> >> defined, I would rather click a few times than repeatedly type out
> >> some command, regardless of how simple it is.
> > Funny thing is, I am not a DBA either and although I do not work with
> > Oracle very day I find using SQL Plus quite convenient.  To see a
> > description of a table's layout you just need "desc <table name>".  With
> > "ed" you can quite conveniently edit your SQL statement in your
> > preferred text editor.  And if you want to do some script based testing
> > with time measurements and output saved, SQL Plus is unbeatable.
Comments embedded
> > Now, this is enough advertising. ;-)
> > Kind regards
> >     robert
> OK, here is another question. What is the difference, from a developer's
> point of view, between Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g?

[Quoted] [Quoted] Legion. The optimizer changed dramatically between 8i and 10g, and [Quoted] [Quoted] other enhancements have also been provided. See here for 9i improvements:

and here for 10g enhancements:

[Quoted] [Quoted] You should also peruse "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals", by Jonathan [Quoted] [Quoted] Lewis, to understand the changes in the optimizer which can affect you.

> If I am just writing SQL statements does it really matter what version I
> use?

[Quoted] [Quoted] It can, depending upon what you're doing. New syntax, such as the [Quoted] [Quoted] WITH clause (for subquery factoring), may provide improved performance [Quoted] over in-line views.

> Is there any added functionality that would change the actual SQL
> statements?

[Quoted] [Quoted] Yes, as noted above. Check the documentation for other query [Quoted] [Quoted] enhancements provided by a specific release.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Mar 02 2009 - 16:05:01 CET

Original text of this message