Re: SQL-plus

From: Tim <jmeth111_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:02:32 -0500

[Quoted] >> Robert Klemme wrote:
>>> ... but be aware that SQL Developer has issues of its own.  I
>>> recently hit a bug when it flagged a warning about a type issue in a
>>> trigger - which was utter nonsense.  Also, with SQL Developer you
>>> still need to do the typing (although I'd concede that the auto
>>> completion usually works).  The best thing that can be probably said
>>> about it is that you easily get an overview of all your database
>>> objects.
>>
>> Exactly. If I  want to look at the various tables and how they are
>> defined, I would rather click a few times than repeatedly type out
>> some command, regardless of how simple it is.

> Funny thing is, I am not a DBA either and although I do not work with
> Oracle very day I find using SQL Plus quite convenient. To see a
> description of a table's layout you just need "desc <table name>". With
> "ed" you can quite conveniently edit your SQL statement in your
> preferred text editor. And if you want to do some script based testing
> with time measurements and output saved, SQL Plus is unbeatable.
>
> Now, this is enough advertising. ;-)
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

OK, here is another question. What is the difference, from a developer's point of view, between Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g? [Quoted] If I am just writing SQL statements does it really matter what version I [Quoted] use? Is there any added functionality that would change the actual SQL statements? Received on Mon Mar 02 2009 - 15:02:32 CET

Original text of this message