Re: SQL-plus

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:41:00 +0100

[Quoted] On 02.03.2009 13:49, Tim wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:

>> ... but be aware that SQL Developer has issues of its own.  I recently
>> hit a bug when it flagged a warning about a type issue in a trigger -
>> which was utter nonsense.  Also, with SQL Developer you still need to
>> do the typing (although I'd concede that the auto completion usually
>> works).  The best thing that can be probably said about it is that you
>> easily get an overview of all your database objects.

> Exactly. If I want to look at the various tables and how they are
> defined, I would rather click a few times than repeatedly type out some
> command, regardless of how simple it is.

[Quoted] Funny thing is, I am not a DBA either and although I do not work with Oracle very day I find using SQL Plus quite convenient. To see a description of a table's layout you just need "desc <table name>". With "ed" you can quite conveniently edit your SQL statement in your preferred text editor. And if you want to do some script based testing with time measurements and output saved, SQL Plus is unbeatable.

[Quoted] Now, this is enough advertising. ;-)

Kind regards

        robert Received on Mon Mar 02 2009 - 14:41:00 CET

Original text of this message