Re: Oracle Migration Workbench

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: 3 Feb 2005 06:45:17 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to convert a SQL Server running on Windows 2000 to Oracle
> > running on HP-UX.
> >
> > Will the migration utility do this, even though they are on
different
> > platforms? What am I supposed to do? Install the migration
utility
> > on both platforms?
> >
> Install a network...
> Connect your Workstation to the network, and both servers.
> Make sure you can connect to both servers, using the
> appropriate network stacks (this may require installation
> of things like an 'Oracle Client' on your Workstation)
> Install the Oracle Migration Workbench on your Workstation,
> as well as the Microsoft SQL Server plugin for the Migration
> Workbench.
>
> Oracle is platform independent, so the OMWB really doesn't
> care about Windows or HP-UX, nor does your Client.
>
> In fact, your Workstation may be running Fedora Core 3,
> as far as the client is concerned. The OMWB is for MS Windows
> only, I believe.
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

[Quoted] Well, I was pretty sure that both machines would need to be connected to the network. What I am curious about is how the migration utility will take the SQL SERVER database on Windows and transfer it, or put it onto the HP-UX box. I mean, they are totally different operating systems. I'm sure that the migration utility does not care, but during the migration, does it not need an Oracle database and an Oracle Home so it knows where to put all the new datafiles and such???

Or, do I need to install Oracle on the Windows box, migrate the database, then transfer it to an Oracle install on the HP-UX box?

Thanks,

Arthur Received on Thu Feb 03 2005 - 15:45:17 CET

Original text of this message