Re: Free database tools announcements - invitation to discussion

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:19:36 -0700

[Quoted] Jeroen van den Broek wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> schreef in bericht
>

>>the spammers have won :-( wrote:

>>>I still don't understand. You totally ignored all of jhking's
>>>references to (and excerpts from) this group's charter. Since
>>>you didn't refute his interpretation, that implies that you
>>>agree with it. So my question remains (unanswered): if you
>>>(and the vast majority of regulars) disagree with this group's
>>>charter, why were you not successful in getting the charter
>>>modified? Or do you simply prefer (and enjoy?) chastizing people
>>>who don't do things the way you would like them to be done?
>>>
>>>Good Luck,
>>>Avi.
>>
>>They have been brought up numerous times and dealt with in the
>>c.d.o. groups. I saw no reason to rehash that which had already
>>been dealt with.
>>
>>I enjoy the group as a place where members of a community, those
>>using Oracle Corp. tools, can exchange information and help each
>>other. I don't enjoy seeing personal greed by persons promoting
>>an agenda taking advantage of the fact that there isn't a cop
>>guarding the door.
>>

> Daniel,

[Quoted] > as you only want to allow Oracle Corp. tools, why is it that the regular
> posters (including yourself) do answer questions regarding TOAD, which isn't
[Quoted] > an Oracle tool and isn't even free either?
> I see your point in trying to keep out real spammers, but referring every
> single post containing a reference to a non-Oracle product to c.d.o.m. will
> not keep them away, imho.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I agree. But if we don't fight for something we abandon all hope.

[Quoted] So here's my challenge. If we open it up to ALL tool vendors then I presume you have no objection to IBM, Microsoft, Sybase, Computer Associates, BMC, Quest, etc. using our forum to support their products too? Is that correct?

[Quoted] How about Business Objects and Crystal Reports How about Brio and Cognos
How about ... need I go on?

[Quoted] You can't write a rule that says big commercial companies excluded.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)