Pushing data from oracle into sql server?

From: joeblow <dadude_at_casselout.dk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:03:10 -0800

[Quoted] Hey folks,

[Quoted] We have our own isolated network that we keep critical and confidential and important and all those words machines, instrumentation and data on. On this network is an oracle 7.3 database running on solaris 2.5.1. This is part of the primary application that is running on this 'inside' network.

There is now a <justifiable> business need to make the data on this database available to others on the enterprise, but we must maintain the sanctity and reliability of the 'inside' network and data and application.

Before today, part of protecting this inside network was a policy of
'no connectivity outside, nohow, nowhere'. Obviously can't do this now.
So we've modified our policy to 'connections to outside systems shall only be initiated from our side', and then we can do the pix firewall and
'fixup protocol' thing.

But....

The MIS folks want to use an SQL Server for the enterprise-available database. They insist that the only way to move data from an oracle database to an SQLServer database is that their SQLServer must initiate a connection to our oracle and 'pull' data.

this is the method that my googling keeps bringing up as well.

I'm not seeing anywhere that tells me how to set up where oracle goes out and connects to their sqlserver and 'pushes' our data into their sql server database.

So, in a nutshell:

Can Oracle 7.3 initiate a connection thru a pix (fixup protocol 1521) to an sqlserver database and transfer data -into- the sqlserver? If so, can someone provide pointers or urls where.

Many thanks in advance Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 01:03:10 CEST

Original text of this message