Re: Forms 6i vs 9i

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:53:10 +1300

Hi

[Quoted] First off, totally agree with the sentiments on Oracle having the wrong strategy by dropping client/server support. Made worse by having no middle ground price point of a Forms/Reports only web license. Will cost them customers and revenue in the long run for a minor short-term gain in AS licenses (any benefits of which have probably already happened). Wake up Larry and Oracle Marketting!

We are considering 9i AS R2 for our 6i Forms/Reports based app, however your comments would suggest that we may be better (ie potentially less problems for ourselves and an easier deploy for our customers) in going with Forms/Reports Services in 10g AS?

I'll read up on OTN, however any opinions on when you think this will likely be a production ready platform (particularly in regard to vs 9i AS R2) would be welcome.

Oracle are also confusing me by calling this release "OracleAS Forms 10g (9.0.4)", what the heck is that all about? Why still the 9.x (is it 99% common code to 9i AS Forms Services)?

Thanks