Re: Forms 6i vs 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:49:33 -0700

KevJohnP wrote:

> Hi
>
> First off, totally agree with the sentiments on Oracle having the
> wrong strategy by dropping client/server support. Made worse by
> having no middle ground price point of a Forms/Reports only web
> license. Will cost them customers and revenue in the long run for a
> minor short-term gain in AS licenses (any benefits of which have
> probably already happened). Wake up Larry and Oracle Marketting!
>
> We are considering 9i AS R2 for our 6i Forms/Reports based app,
> however your comments would suggest that we may be better (ie
> potentially less problems for ourselves and an easier deploy for our
> customers) in going with Forms/Reports Services in 10g AS?
>
> I'll read up on OTN, however any opinions on when you think this will
> likely be a production ready platform (particularly in regard to vs 9i
> AS R2) would be welcome.
>
> Oracle are also confusing me by calling this release "OracleAS Forms
> 10g (9.0.4)", what the heck is that all about? Why still the 9.x (is
> it 99% common code to 9i AS Forms Services)?
>
> Thanks
>
> KJP
>
> Anna C. Dent wrote:
>
>> Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>> You'll be happy to know that v10 is a huge improvement.
>>> Not only that it can be installed without the need for a full scale
>>> research project.
>>>

>> I agree!
>> The mid-tier migration wizard actually worked right off the CDs.
>> From start to finish, the upgrade took only 2 - 3 hours and all
>> my customization continued to function. I was IMPRESSED!

One of Oracle's biggest mistakes has been to put people from the consulting division in charge of marketing. The consulting group may have been good at a lot of things but selling product wasn't one of them. Much of
this apparently nonsensical behavior is decisions being made by people that are nearly clueless in their new
roles.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu