Re: 9iAS on Windows vs. Unix

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:44:03 GMT

Oracle9i Application Server is a pretty large collection of software and it includes a lot of components. It's actually quite rare for a company to leverage all the components in the collection. Even if a company did so, it's even less likely that they would put all the functionality on the same server.

The design concept of 9iAS seems to be an Application Server version of RAID - a redundant array of inexpensive app servers. The idea appears to be create a server farm (provides inherent reliability) and assign some of the overall functionality to various machines in the farm. This makes a lot of sense to me & I would start by

  1. identify the 9iAS capabilities I want to use
  2. estimate the CPU requirements to fulfill each capability
  3. estimate the redundancy, load sharing, HA and/or load balance requirements
  4. spread the load across a reasonable number of servers.

In every case, I would consider Linux before AIX or Windows. And, some functions are best served in a Windows environment, for example - are you using .Net or any windows capabilities? or are you using active directory?

I would >never< put the 9iAS on the same machine as the 9iDB, simply from a license cost point of view. As an example - suppose you have a 4 cpu machine & you buy cpu licenses: if you put both 9iAS and 9iDB on the same machine, you have bought 4 DB licenses & 4 AS licenses, but you are only getting x (where x ranges 0 to 4) DB capability and (4-x) AS capability ... waste of money!

HTH
/Hans Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 20:44:03 CEST

Original text of this message