Re: Forms 9i middle tier on client?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:13:35 -0800

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> mark.beck_at_gmx.de (Mark Beck) wrote in message news:<d055eff1.0303050635.3882c0fd_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> > due to the approaching desupport of Forms6i, which was client/server
> > based,
> > I'm searching for a solution with Forms9i. The design of my
> > application is
> > and should be c/s in the future, therefore without a dedicated
> > application server/middle tier.
> > The idea is to place the middle tier on the client(OC4J+Forms9i
> > Servlet&Listener). As long as it meets the hardware specs(P3 >500 MHz;
> > RAM 256Megs), this should be ok.
> > The problem is, that I have found an oc4j standalone client on
> > otn(<25Megs), which installs properly, but I don't know how to fit in
> > the Forms90-Servlet. On the other side you have to install the
> > complete OracleiDS Developer Suite(iDS) to get the Forms Developer and
> > the Forms Servlet Engine on the client(no manual installation
> > possible). That's around 1.8GB that I don't want to have on
> > every client.. No option either is to install the complete iAS..
> >
> > Is there any way to get a "thin" oc4j+forms9i engine on a client?
> > Has anyone tried that?
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Mark
>
> You lost me on your reasoning. Oracle took out all client server
> support in 9i. If you want to use a client/server forms you can still
> license 6i? Please explain WHY you are doing this?
>
> As far as thin. NO forms is a heavy weight tool. This is a huge
> drawback to web base forms deployment. The network traffic is much
> higher than with java or even with .net.
>
> BTW, why are you even doing a client/server application? All the above
> being said its cheaper and easier to do a web deployment with forms
> than a client/server. Ive done both. Now setting up the web server can
> be a real pain to learn how to do it and making sure all your users
> have a qualified browser is a little more work, but when that is done,
> no other deployments????

[Quoted] [Quoted] I can answer your question pretty easily. No need to a web server/app server, no need for that in-house web expertise, the fact that installation and configuration of 9iAS is a nightmare for almost everyone that hasn't been doing it for a long time, small user base sitting in a single office where client-server is faster, easier to maintain, and a lot less hassle.

I'm building an app right now for a client that specifically doesn't want iDS 9i. They have a single server, 6 people in one office, and couldn't care less about web vs. client-server. They just want something that works.

[Quoted] I am not at all convinced that iDS 9i was a great idea ... either technically or for marketing. In fact I think it was a blunder to remove functionality without a single benefit to show for the effort. And there is no excuse for a Form being any less efficient than Java other than someone at Oracle not forcing the developers to think smarter.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 23:13:35 CET

Original text of this message