Re: Forms 9i middle tier on client?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:04:44 -0800

Jeff wrote:

> In article <3E67C80F.D02D8742_at_exesolutions.com>, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >I can answer your question pretty easily. No need to a web server/app server,
> > no need for that in-house web
> >expertise, the fact that installation and configuration of 9iAS is a nightmare
> > for almost everyone that
> >hasn't been doing it for a long time, small user base sitting in a single
> > office where client-server is
> >faster, easier to maintain, and a lot less hassle.
>
> Yeah, what became SO wrong with client-server anyway? For smaller,
> non-distributed apps, client-server is simpler and cheaper--let's not forget
> the hefty extra licensing/maintenance costs for 9iAS.
>
> >I am not at all convinced that iDS 9i was a great idea ... either technically
> > or for marketing. In fact I
> >think it was a blunder to remove functionality without a single benefit to show
> > for the effort. And there
> >is no excuse for a Form being any less efficient than Java other than someone
> > at Oracle not forcing the
> >developers to think smarter.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
>
> 100% agreement.

[Quoted] I can certainly understand how momentum at Oracle in Redwood Shores might push them to be thinking 'web' but in so-doing they have decided to compete against .NET and ignore VB and Access. It is an abandonment of a very large market segment and a blunder.

[Quoted] I could understand deciding not to create a new client-server implementation. But realistically how hard would it have been to provide a simple tool to port 9i forms to a format where they would have run under the client-server runtime? One developer ... 90 days? If that!

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 17:04:44 CET

Original text of this message