Re: Design help

From: Michael Segulja <msegulja_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:00:40 GMT

And yet another possibility is to look into Oracle Internet File System. It does exactly what you are looking for. I believe you can run it either standalone, or as part of 9i Application Server. Go to www.oracle.com and check out iFS. It's all pretty much out of the box, so you shouldn't have much trouble implementing it at all.

HTH, Michael

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CCECF26.2A6C863C_at_exesolutions.com...
> Neil Talsania wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the thought, but since hiring a contractor to do this is not
an
> > option, let me throw some more thoughts out.
> > I am not looking for a solution to my problem. I am looking for
> > possibilities.
> >
> > What I am really looking for is some paths to go down and research. For
> > example, last night I read a chapter in an oracle XML book, and it gave
> > very simply example, where you created an XML file with an editor,
putting
> > the query into the XML file, and when you loaded that file into a
browser,
> > the results were displayed. As I read this in the bookstore and thus did
not
> > have access to my computer, I could not see what it took to get it to
work.
> > But something was automatically translating from the query into the
results.
> > It is not clear what needs to be done to accomplish this. Any clues? IF
> > dont have a web server running would this still work? Does this approach
> > really get me anything for free? If all XML would buy me would be a
standard
> > language to aid in the data passing, then you would be right, and the
> > technology wouldnt matter, but if the oracle utilites interact with the
XML
> > and make some things happen in the background, then it would be worth
> > considering.
> >
> > I was hoping to not have to buy the book just yet, until I felt
confident
> > that it was the path to go down.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Neil
> >
> > "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > be.

> > the
> > user
> > criteria to
> > in

> > connection,
> > then

> > benefit,
> > get
> > automatically?

> > > I don't see that the specific technology implementation, XML or
whatever,
> > makes
> > > the slightest bit of difference.
> > >
> > > But the kind of design help you are asking for is not just a simple
matter
> > of
> > > suggesting that you do A, B, and C. It is the kind of thing that, if
you
> > are new
> > > to database work as you state, you should hire a contractor to do.
Someone
> > with
> > > previous experience.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan
> > >

> Well if the existing app is client-server and you aren't going to the web
I'd