Re: Design help

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:17:11 GMT

Neil Talsania wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to database work, and am looking for help in figuring out
> possible design options, or really what the best tool for the job might be.
>
> The task is to fit into an existing client server application an oracle
> database on the server side. Basically the client picks a file on the
> server, a TCP/IP socket is opened and then the data is transmitted from the
> server to the client for display. What we want to do now, is have the user
> instead of sending a file name to the server, really send search criteria to
> the server. Eventually the client needs to get the data from the server in
> the same way it currently does. So, one thing might be for the server to
> return to the client the filename to open.
>
> Now, my initial thoughts were to modify the client to get the attribute
> values to query on, transmit those to the client over the socket connection,
> modify the server to use embedded SQL to query the oracle database, and then
> return the results of the query again through the socket.
>
> I am wondering if XML would make this any easier? If the client server
> interaction were web based, then I could see how it would be a huge benefit,
> but since it is not, I am not so sure. IF the client builds the xml file
> with the SQL embedded in the <query> tag, how does the server actually get
> the results of the query? How should it connect to the database server?
> Should it still use embedded SQL and parse the XML file, extract out the
> query, and then make the SQL call? Or can some of this happen automatically?
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Neil

I don't see that the specific technology implementation, XML or whatever, makes [Quoted] the slightest bit of difference.

[Quoted] But the kind of design help you are asking for is not just a simple matter of [Quoted] [Quoted] suggesting that you do A, B, and C. It is the kind of thing that, if you are new [Quoted] to database work as you state, you should hire a contractor to do. Someone with [Quoted] previous experience.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 17:17:11 CEST

Original text of this message