Re: Design help

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:06:47 GMT

Neil Talsania wrote:

> Thanks for the thought, but since hiring a contractor to do this is not an
> option, let me throw some more thoughts out.
> I am not looking for a solution to my problem. I am looking for
> possibilities.
>
> What I am really looking for is some paths to go down and research. For
> example, last night I read a chapter in an oracle XML book, and it gave a
> very simply example, where you created an XML file with an editor, putting
> the query into the XML file, and when you loaded that file into a browser,
> the results were displayed. As I read this in the bookstore and thus did not
> have access to my computer, I could not see what it took to get it to work.
> But something was automatically translating from the query into the results.
> It is not clear what needs to be done to accomplish this. Any clues? IF I
> dont have a web server running would this still work? Does this approach
> really get me anything for free? If all XML would buy me would be a standard
> language to aid in the data passing, then you would be right, and the
> technology wouldnt matter, but if the oracle utilites interact with the XML
> and make some things happen in the background, then it would be worth
> considering.
>
> I was hoping to not have to buy the book just yet, until I felt confident
> that it was the path to go down.
>
> Thanks
> Neil
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Neil Talsania wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I am new to database work, and am looking for help in figuring out
> > > possible design options, or really what the best tool for the job might
> be.
> > >
> > > The task is to fit into an existing client server application an oracle
> > > database on the server side. Basically the client picks a file on the
> > > server, a TCP/IP socket is opened and then the data is transmitted from
> the
> > > server to the client for display. What we want to do now, is have the
> user
> > > instead of sending a file name to the server, really send search
> criteria to
> > > the server. Eventually the client needs to get the data from the server
> in
> > > the same way it currently does. So, one thing might be for the server to
> > > return to the client the filename to open.
> > >
> > > Now, my initial thoughts were to modify the client to get the attribute
> > > values to query on, transmit those to the client over the socket
> connection,
> > > modify the server to use embedded SQL to query the oracle database, and
> then
> > > return the results of the query again through the socket.
> > >
> > > I am wondering if XML would make this any easier? If the client server
> > > interaction were web based, then I could see how it would be a huge
> benefit,
> [...]

[Quoted] Well if the existing app is client-server and you aren't going to the web I'd [Quoted] pick up Oracle Forms from the Internet Developer Suite and use it in a client-server configuration. You could probably accomplish your entire project [Quoted] goal in one week.

If you are going to the web then you open things up to numerous possibilities of [Quoted] which the best one is likely the one you already know the best.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 19:06:47 CEST

Original text of this message