Re: NLS_LANG in WinNT registry, using Designer, Developer and DB on same machine

From: Frank Heuer <fheuer_at_oekodata.de>
Date: 18 Jan 2002 07:47:07 GMT

[Quoted] Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in news:544e4ukilora0km7h3on3ko7iivr7094i8_at_4ax.com:

> On 17 Jan 2002 09:52:03 GMT, Frank Heuer <fheuer_at_oekodata.de> wrote:
>
>>Hallo,
>>
>>let us have an oracle.
>>
>>I use Oracle Designer, Developer (Forms and Reports) and the DB on an
>>Pentium III WinNT SP6 system.
>>I work in Germany, most of ouer customers are Germans, and I need help
>>for configuring my System.
>>
>>I wont, that my developing tools work with english / american
>>-language, because most of the Dokus you find are like that.
>>
>>I wont to run the DB on english / american or for some other purposes
>>in german, depends on the Projekt.
>>
>>The designer install procedure tells me, that I can not run it with
>>the German-Language, because I do have to install some
>>Language-package, I do not have.
>>
>>In the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE" there are
>>different Keys, that contain the string "NLS_LANG" with the value for
>>language, territorium and characterset to use in it.
>>
>>Can somebody tell me how to set this string / value -pair under the
>>different subkeys and in which order/prority?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Frank
>
> usually you have to install the Oracle client in the foreign language.
> That will install Oracle in say German *and* English, and that pretty
> much resolves all issues.
> I'm not sure whether the Developer comes with German message
> libraries.
> I rather usually don't want to use those, because the translations
> are so clumsy.
> The level with the most far reaching impact is
> NLS_LANG
> This is the *only* way to make sure Oracle will actually use European
> diacritical characters.
> A workable setting for this is
> American_America.WE8ISO8859P1
> For you that would imply
> German_Germany.WE8ISO8859P1
> You'll now get *german* error messages.
> If you only want to use German sort conventions, German date
> conventions and so on, you need to set
> NLS_LANGUAGE (note the difference). This setting, as opposed to
> NLS_LANG, can be set in init.ora and by means of alter session
> commands.
> Of course all this is documented in an appendix in the Server
> Administrators Manual.
>
> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks, Mr Bakker, for your answer. I gues,it will help, but let me discribe my problem again and let me practice my english (its not so good, I think, but i learned a new word: clumsy. Yes, its true, translations are clumsy and the german Help-Files contain bugs).

My Problem is, that I have a lot of Keys and Subkeys in my registry-
>SOFTWARE/ORACLE Key that kontain the NLS_LANG-Value. Here I try to
explain:

First of all, I have differeent Oracle-Homes.

There are four Homes (ID 0 to ID 3)

HOME0 contains settings for Oracle Forms and Reports HOME1 oh, I du not know exactly, but I think 'des_81_home' HOME2 Yes, shure, thats my database
HOME3 seems the 'des_817_home'

I know, probably I must have a maximum of three homes, one for the DB, one for the Oracle-Tools and one further, Designer needs, I think for backup purposes.

But I have updated my software and so the 'des_817_home' is new.

Let me discribe the homes and NLS_LANG-values under the key HKEYLOCAL _MACHINE/SOFTWARE/

  • ORACLE->NLS_LANG:GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1 (If there is no NLS_LANG under this path, Designer-tools fails with starting DR.Watson, also if it contains another value than GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1)
  • ORACLE/ALL_HOMES/ID0->NLS_LANG:American_America.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/ALL_HOMES/ID1->NLS_LANG:AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/ALL_HOMES/ID2->NLS_LANG:NA
  • ORACLE/ALL_HOMES/ID3->NLS_LANG:GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/ORACLE_HOMES/ORACLE0->NLS_LANG:GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/HOME0->NLS_LANG:American_America.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/HOME1: This Key does not exist
  • ORACLE/HOME2->NLS_LANG:GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
  • ORACLE/HOME3->NLS_LANG:GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
So how do this Keys work together. Why are there NLS-values under ID0 and also under HOME0. Why does the value NLS_LANG under ID0 / HOME0 not effekt Forms Builder (It starts with German language)

Questions, questions. Please can you help me or do you know someone who can (klean up my registry)?

First of all, I will read the Server Administrators Manual again.

Frank Heuer, Germany Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 08:47:07 CET

Original text of this message