Re: NLS_LANG in WinNT registry, using Designer, Developer and DB on same machine

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:25:12 +0100

[Quoted] On 17 Jan 2002 09:52:03 GMT, Frank Heuer <fheuer_at_oekodata.de> wrote:

>Hallo,
>
>let us have an oracle.
>
>I use Oracle Designer, Developer (Forms and Reports) and the DB on an
>Pentium III WinNT SP6 system.
>I work in Germany, most of ouer customers are Germans, and I need help for
>configuring my System.
>
>I wont, that my developing tools work with english / american -language,
>because most of the Dokus you find are like that.
>
>I wont to run the DB on english / american or for some other purposes in
>german, depends on the Projekt.
>
>The designer install procedure tells me, that I can not run it whith the
>German-Language, because I do have to install some Language-package, I do
>not have.
>
>In the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE" there are
>different Keys, that contain the string "NLS_LANG" whith the value for
>language, territorium and characterset to use in it.
>
>Can somebody tell me how to set this string / value -pair under the
>different subkeys and in which order/prority?
>
>Regards
>
>Frank

usually you have to install the Oracle client in the foreign language. That will install Oracle in say German *and* English, and that pretty much resolves all issues.
I'm not sure whether the Developer comes with German message libraries.
 I rather usually don't want to use those, because the translations are so clumsy.
The level with the most far reaching impact is NLS_LANG
This is the *only* way to make sure Oracle will actually use European diacritical characters.
A workable setting for this is
American_America.WE8ISO8859P1
For you that would imply
German_Germany.WE8ISO8859P1
You'll now get *german* error messages.
If you only want to use German sort conventions, German date conventions and so on, you need to set
NLS_LANGUAGE (note the difference). This setting, as opposed to NLS_LANG, can be set in init.ora and by means of alter session commands.
Of course all this is documented in an appendix in the Server Administrators Manual.

 Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 19:25:12 CET

Original text of this message