Re: SQL*Plus /Oracle Forms

From: Norberto Pontt O. <npontt_at_terra.cl>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:09:28 -0500

I think the solution might be found in a combination of tricks: 1.-First you may find useful function SOUNDEX, it works like this: SQL> select soundex('smith'),soundex('smidt')   2 from dual;

SOUN SOUN
---- ----
S530 S530

2.-Second may be QBE is the right tool
select *
from table
where name_in_the_table like '%SMITH'

QBE: Query By Example a very working and useful tricks available in SQL

3.-Third. You may use function INSTR(string1,string2) . It work like this: It renders the position of string2 in string1 if it is there.

SQL> select instr('1234','1')
  2 from dual;

INSTR('1234','1')

                1

SQL> edit
Wrote file afiedt.buf

  1 select instr('1234','2')
  2* from dual
SQL> / INSTR('1234','2')

                2

4.-If you have to process the whole set of rows coming in the official file, then you will have to make sure all the records have been processed. That is something to be
done by you.

Good Luck!
Norberto Pontt
:-)