Re: What to backup in Oracle?

From: user Linux <kankossa_at_free.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:35:53 GMT

[Quoted] Dans l'article <gtla9tg0kh7nqed6crmj95ctjmlc0juegm_at_4ax.com>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> a écrit :

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:41:48 GMT, "user Linux" <kankossa_at_free.fr> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I find the following script for backup the oracle database. But I don't
>>know what to do exactly.
>>
>>#!/bin/sh
>>PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin export PATH echo "BEGIN: $(date)"
>>file1="YOUR_DATABASE_$(date +%Y%m%d).dmp" file2="YOUR_DATABASE_$(date
>>+%Y%m%d).log" exp userid=login/password file=$file1 log=$file2  full=yes
>>echo "END: $(date)"
>>
>>I know that my instance has the same name as th db_name both called
>>"bas1" as I can see from initbas1.ora in /pfile directory.
>>However in can't find where this base lies physical, grep, find can not
>>find it.  What to replace in place of "YOUR_DATABASE" in the above
>>script? Can somebody helping me?

> This in an export script. Export is *logical* backup, not *physical*, so
> in this case the location of your files is completely irrelevant. The
> script assumes the env var ORACLE_SID has been set. I would you this
> variable for YOUR_DATABASE warning: export as logical backup can not
> replace a physical backup
>
> Hth,
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Thanks for reply.
My ORACLE_SID=bas1. Now when I replace "YOUR_DATABASE" by any file like "somthing", the script works and backup me a file called somthing_20010222.dmb and somthing_20010222.log. Is this means that the DB has been effectivelly backup even if I dont mentionne "bas1" anywhere in the script?
How I can restore?

What the difference between logical and physical backup? In the case of physical backup, where is the emplacement of the my database "bas1".

Thanks so. Received on Thu Feb 22 2001 - 19:35:53 CET

Original text of this message