Re: What to backup in Oracle?

From: Jason Seeley <me_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:53:24 +1300

[Quoted] Mate you better start reading a least a couple of manuals, if you keep [Quoted] asking similar questions you're going to start annoying some of the people here - and believe me you won't like it when their annoyed 8-0

I'm no expert but AFAIK an export script creates a file containing the data [Quoted] and structures of your database. The files it creates are not so much restored as they are "imported" at a later date or into another database should you wish. Sybrand called this a logical backup because the files it [Quoted] creates are on your harddrive. If you then backed this up onto tape then you [Quoted] [Quoted] would be creating a physical backup (which could then be stored seperate from your machine)

The reason the script didn't have to mention your oracle sid (bas 1) is [Quoted] because its a variable and when you ran the script Oracle would have looked for that variable to determine what your sid was (if you don't know what a [Quoted] variable is try typing in set at the command prompt to see a list of variables that currently have values set for them. And perhaps you need to [Quoted] [Quoted] find a book on linux 8-) Try "Teach yourself linux in 21 days" I understand its very good for people just starting out.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions - I intended this to be [Quoted] [Quoted] read in good humor - I was not trying to be nasty or insulting.

Cheers