Re: What to backup in Oracle?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:20:27 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:41:48 GMT, "user Linux" <kankossa_at_free.fr> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I find the following script for backup the oracle database. But I don't
>know what to do exactly.
>
>#!/bin/sh
>PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
>export PATH
>echo "BEGIN: $(date)"
>file1="YOUR_DATABASE_$(date +%Y%m%d).dmp"
>file2="YOUR_DATABASE_$(date +%Y%m%d).log"
>exp userid=login/password file=$file1 log=$file2 full=yes
>echo "END: $(date)"
>
>I know that my instance has the same name as th db_name both called
>"bas1" as I can see from initbas1.ora in /pfile directory.
>However in can't find where this base lies physical, grep, find can not
>find it.
>What to replace in place of "YOUR_DATABASE" in the above script?
>Can somebody helping me?

[Quoted] [Quoted] This in an export script. Export is *logical* backup, not *physical*, [Quoted] [Quoted] so in this case the location of your files is completely irrelevant. [Quoted] The script assumes the env var ORACLE_SID has been set. [Quoted] I would you this variable for YOUR_DATABASE warning: export as logical backup can not replace a physical backup

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Feb 22 2001 - 19:20:27 CET

Original text of this message