Re: Reports 6i and other tools

From: Michael J. Moore <mNiOcShPaAeMl.j.moore_at_wcom.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:08:25 GMT

I suspect that he has already done this since he said that he was able to connect using SQLPlus.
Here is what the post install instructions for designer say:

Set up the database connection

You must configure the Net8 network software for the correct database connection. You need to:
Test the database connection
Configure the local naming method
Test the database connection

Open a SQL*Plus window and test the connection to the database.

A common cause of connection problems is that the listener process is either not started (indicated by the message "ORA-nnnnn: TNS: no listener") or is not correctly configured. Refer to the Net8 Administrator's Guide for information on starting and configuring a listener process.

When you can connect to the database, close the SQL*Plus window. Configure the local naming method

We recommend using the local naming method to manage the Net8 network software at the client. The local naming method reads net service names from a TNSNAMES.ORA file at the client.
Preferred procedure

The preferred procedure for configuration is to use two separate TNSNAMES.ORA files in the two separate Oracle home directories required by the use of Oracle Designer 6i with Oracle 8i.

Note that the New Service Name in the first Oracle home must be identical to the Net Service Name in the Oracle8i Oracle home.

To set up the TNSNAMES.ORA file in the first Oracle home (the one used for Oracle Designer and elsewhere referred to as DEFAULT_HOME), start the Net8 Easy Configuration utility at the client:

Click Start [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Programs [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Oracle for Windows version [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Oracle Net8 Easy Config.

If you see a message about comment information in the network configuration file, reply Yes.

Add a new service with the same name as the database alias. Choose "Add New Service" and follow the on-screen instructions to create the new service. Use the following values:

For

Enter

New Service Name

The database alias

Host Name

The name of the database server machine

Port Number

1521

Database SID

The name of the database, also known as the Oracle System Identifier (SID)

After you enter a value, click the Next button to go on to the next parameter.

At the end, test the new service. For the username and password, use SYSTEM or SYS and its password.

Click the Test button to test the connection.

Click Done, then Next, then Finish to exit.

To set up the TNSNAMES.ORA file in the Oracle8i Oracle home, start the Net8 Configuration Assistant at the client:

Click Start [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Programs [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Oracle - Oracle8i_home [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Network Administration [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Net8 Configuration Assistant

The following table shows what to enter on each screen.

Screen

Choose or Enter
Welcome Local Net Service Name configuration Net Service Name Configuration

Add
Database Version

Oracle8i database or service
Service Name

The global database name of the database Select Protocols

TCP
TCP/IP Protocol Host Name - The host name of the database server

Port Number - 1521
Test No, do not test (at this stage)
Net Service Name Use the default value supplied Another Net Service Name? No
Click Next, then Finish to save the configuration details.

Restart the Net8 Configuration Assistant and at the Net Service Name Configuration screen, choose Test.

Click Cancel or Finish to exit.

Continue from "Install/upgrade/migrate the repository". Alternative procedure

Oracle Designer 6i uses the Oracle8i Import and Export utilities, which are installed into the Oracle8i Oracle home, not the default Oracle home into which Oracle Designer is installed. At the end of the Designer client-side installation process, you are asked if you want to use the LOCAL and TNS_ADMIN registry variables to save having to maintain multiple copies of your TNSNAMES.ORA file.

If you chose not to do this during client-side installation but now wish to do so, you can achieve this as follows.

Click Start [arrow.gif (182 bytes)] Run, enter regedit and click OK.

To use the TNS_ADMIN variable, set both the following registry entries to d:\default_home\NET80\ADMIN, where d is the drive, and default_home the directory, to which the Oracle Designer client software is installed:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\TNS_ADMIN \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEn\TNS_ADMIN

where n identifies the Oracle home used for Oracle8i.

To use the LOCAL registry variable to avoid the need for users to enter a connection string every time they connect to the database, set the following registry entries to the value of the database alias that you will use when you set up the TNSNAMES.ORA file later in this step:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\LOCAL \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEn\LOCAL

[...]

cheers, Mike

"Alex Filonov" <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net> wrote in message news:9016dq$dvg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <900vjt$2iss$1_at_news.cybercity.dk>,
> "cah" <no_at_spam.mam> wrote:
> > Basicly i cant login to my DB wich is 8.1.7
> > I can connect with SQL Plus just fine, and do my sql stuff, however
 Reports