Re: Reports 6i and other tools

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:00:48 GMT

[Quoted] In article <900vjt$2iss$1_at_news.cybercity.dk>,   "cah" <no_at_spam.mam> wrote:
> Basicly i cant login to my DB wich is 8.1.7
> I can connect with SQL Plus just fine, and do my sql stuff, however
 Reports
> say :
>
> REP-0501: Unable to connect to the specified databse
> ORA-12154: TNS: coul dnot resolve service name.
>
> (I use SYSTEM/MANAGER account as i usually do with SQL Plus..)
>
> All other tools(ie discoverer) make an equalent error msg, they cant find
> the DB.
> Now they're installed into different homes, wich i suspect to be my
 problem,
> however i cannot install these tools into the same home as the one used by
> 8.1.7 (it gives me an error if i try, says that the home is used for 817
> production and cannot be used for nt home !?!?!).
>
> Now all this is on the same machine, so everything is installed on
> localhost, connecting to localhost.
>
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

[Quoted] Developer 6i tools have to be connected through SQL*Net. So you have to configure SQL*Net: create tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. The easiest setup would be tcp/ip, using localhost as a host address. Use Net8asst, it'll save you time. After you done that, set TNS_ADMIN environment variable to the directory where you have your tnsnames.ora file.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 28 2000 - 22:00:48 CET

Original text of this message