Re: Got a question regarding newbies

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:23:05 GMT

I'll add my two-cents worth, as well....

There will always be people who don't take the time to search or dig answers to there problems. Some of them, unfortunately, are seasoned developers... and I'm sure we have all inherited their systems and had to re-write them... There will also always be newbies. And while I will not excuse a lack of personal responsibility, I can understand a certain amount of their frustration...

When I was first began in Oracle a few years back, I diligently desired documentation... but none was to be found...either because the company didn't buy it, or it was not included in the install disk (Forms 5, for example)...Metalink access was tightly controlled by another group, and training classes were either scheduled too far out in the future, or there was not budget or will to get the staff trained. My point is that normal avenues were blocked, and there was a great feeling of frustration at wanting to do a good job, but being prevented.

However, there was a DBA on our project who took the time to be a mentor, sharing definitions, tips and tricks, philosophies, approaches, etc.
and where appropriate, letting me have access to try out the tips and tricks. I am forever in his debt. He was completely counter to the typical stereotype of the corporate DBA department: cold, arrogant, snobbish, etc.

My point is this: Sure, I know we all get busy and cannot answer every beginner's question, but on the other hand, 5 minutes spent in giving a kind word or encouragement to direct a new user can make a world of difference to that person. Even the "tone of voice" used when telling a newbie to "go search the literature" can make a big difference.

That's my opinion.
Comments?

Robert Proffitt
Beckman Coulter
RTProffitt AT beckman DOT com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 18:23:05 CET

Original text of this message