Re: Oracle certificate

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:57:43 GMT

In my opinion, the certification tests are not a very good indicator of competence. They usually test detailed trivia rather than knowledge that is a good indicator
of capability.

The Oracle DBA certification is certainly better then the others I have seen. The tests that I have
reviewed for Developer certification (from a variety of vendors) have been consistently
terrible. My best sound bite was the person from Oracle ed that I talked to who passed
the developer test but admitted to not being able to build a real form.

Peter Koletzke and I wrote an interview questions chapter for our new Advanced Developer
book (available from Oracle press by mid Nov). Mike Olin (our tech editor) criticized the chapter
saying that the questions were specific to the way that I build forms and reports.
That is probably fair. There are many ways to use Developer. You can be very good with the
product and not know many parts of the tool. The real question is "can you design and build
a complex system that meets user requirements?"

I do not take certification very seriously in hiring.

Probably the main benefit for certification is that Oracle is requiring it for resellers.

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.