Re: job on timer

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 13:38:26 GMT

[Quoted] A copy of this was sent to "Bob" <bookor_at_mail.org> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 09:03:25 -0400, you wrote:

>Im sure this is a simple question, but Im new to Oracle. I need to run a
>sql script on a timer. Say once every half hour to extract data matching a
>certain criteria to a fixed length text file. I have the script running ---
>but only from a button on a form. Can I create a timer on the form that
>will submit the job? Ive read about dbms_job to submit jobs but I can not
>find any documentation that explains how to use it. I also cant get my plsql

[Quoted] its in the application developers guide but the query:

select text from all_source where name = 'DBMS_JOB' and type = 'PACKAGE' order by line;

will get it as well.

>script to run in sqlplus. For some reason it will only run from the form
>4.5 form. Does anyone have any simple method I can use to get this job

you are probably using TEXT_IO to create the file. text_io is forms specific. [Quoted] See UTL_FILE in the application developers for the API that does server side file IO (you need 7.3 or up for that).

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
[Quoted] Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st

[Quoted] Thomas Kyte                   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com