Re: job on timer

From: Bob <bookor_at_mail.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:13:14 -0400

[Quoted] [Quoted] Thanks for the reply. It's amazing. I've researched this simple project in [Quoted] [Quoted] all the Oracle manuals as well as several third party books and it is unbelievable how little information they really provide. I read several sections about utl_file and text_io and the only simplistic description I got was utl_file was a server application and text_io was a client application. So I spent days working on this routine because I want it to run on the client without impacting the server any more than possible. Now [Quoted] I find Ive been on the wrong track all along. Guess I start over again.

Im still confused about the dbms_job however.

The select statement will give me a list of dbms_jobs I think, but how do I [Quoted] submit a job. From svrmgr80, from sqlplus, I feel stupid because I should [Quoted] be able to look it up, but I swear there are no instructions in the manuals [Quoted] just a description of what the dbms_job does. No real help on the specifics [Quoted] of "type this in at this prompt to accomplish this" .

[Quoted] Thanks for the reply. It has be unbelievably hard to get any useful help with Oracle, nothing at all like any other applications Ive ever had to learn.

bookor_at_interserv.com

Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:37816380.2968338_at_newshost.us.oracle.com...
> A copy of this was sent to "Bob" <bookor_at_mail.org>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 09:03:25 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Im sure this is a simple question, but Im new to Oracle. I need to run a
> >sql script on a timer. Say once every half hour to extract data matching
> >certain criteria to a fixed length text file. I have the script
running ---
> >but only from a button on a form. Can I create a timer on the form that
> >will submit the job? Ive read about dbms_job to submit jobs but I can
not
> >find any documentation that explains how to use it. I also cant get my
plsql

> its in the application developers guide but the query:
>
> select text from all_source where name = 'DBMS_JOB' and type = 'PACKAGE'
order
> by line;
>
> will get it as well.
>
> >script to run in sqlplus. For some reason it will only run from the form
> >4.5 form. Does anyone have any simple method I can use to get this job
>
> you are probably using TEXT_IO to create the file. text_io is forms
specific.
> See UTL_FILE in the application developers for the API that does server
side
> file IO (you need 7.3 or up for that).
>

> >done? Timer on a form or modify the plsql so it will run from sqlplus
and
> >use dbms_job?
> >
> >any help would be appreciated...
> >
> >bookor_at_interserv.com
> >

> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June
21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation Received on Sun Jul 04 1999 - 23:13:14 CEST

Original text of this message