Re: Oracle 7.2 security

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 21 Jun 1999 08:47:28 -0400

It depends on the applications accessing the database. If the application is doing its own security, in other words, it validates the users' passwords and then connects to the database as a privileged user, then the answer is most likely "no" without rewriting the application.

However, if users are connecting directly to the database, then you can create each user identified externally, which means that the Oracle server will validate the client's identity by calling out to Unix. One caveat, though: this will only work securely if the user is connecting through the bequeath protocol adapter.

I'm confused, though, about this "invisible user." Is this user actually an Oracle application through which the users connect to the database? If so, then, a rewrite will be in order.

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman
                                        Security and Directory Technologies
                                        Server Technologies