Re: Forms 5, Summary items TOO SLOW!!!

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:12:59 GMT

Mark,
  Summary items are native in 5.0. You should check into this feature.

Sean,
My guess is you have a problem in your DB. Try to calculate your total in the DB using SQL/PLUS.
I bet you are getting into full table scan land.

You can always do it by hand (like we all had to in the old days), using some of the techniques that Mark suggests. But I bet that won't help you.

So,

  1. try it in the DB, if it is slow, fix it, if not
  2. look at the execution plan for your form see if that tells you anything
  3. try to code it by hand -- Paul Dorsey Dulcian, Inc. www.dulcian.com 212 595 7223 Mark Gumbs wrote in message <37492558.0_at_145.227.194.253>...
    >Hi,
    >
    >Not being able to see your code or your form, i'm guessing at a few things
    >here.
    >
    >1.
    > Are you populating your summary fields by using a post-query trigger?
    >
    >If you are, make sure that the code in the post query trigger is 'tuned'
    and
    >uses relevant indexes etc to maximise speed. Also, use an explicit cursor
    >in your post-query trigger as opposed to a select ?? into ?? from table
    >since this doubles up processing because the trigger fires the query twice,
    >once to see if the too_many_rows exception needs to be raised and once for
    >the actual query.
    >
    >2.
    >Also, have you got some kind of counter in your form like 'Record 1 of
    200'?
    >If so, how are you finding out that you have 200 records? If you use the
    >dreaded last_record, get your record count, first record method in your
    >block, this will also make your processing slower because post-query is
    >fired 200 times! Use count query before interrogating the block.
    >
    >3.
    >The first time you return your results, save the first total or totals in a
    >hidden field. When the user updates something, just subtract the old value
    >from the hidden field and add the new. This will save interrogating the DB
    >after every user move.
    >
    >Hope something from the above helps,
    >
    >Mark
    >

    >Sean Zhang wrote in message ...
    >>Hello, everyone,
    >>
    >>We are using Developer 2000 version 2 in Windows 95
    >>as the client interface to Oracle 8i in SUN.
    >>We have a block based on <customer_order_items> table,
    >>when our users edit the items, they want to see some
    >>summarized data : i.e. total dollar so far? total order quantity so far?
    >>So we just make a few <display items> as summary of some fields.
    >>It works perfectly fine as long as the number of rows displayed in the
    FORM