Forms 5, Summary items TOO SLOW!!!

From: Sean Zhang <sean_at_cnfei.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:50:17 GMT

[Quoted] Hello, everyone,

We are using Developer 2000 version 2 in Windows 95 as the client interface to Oracle 8i in SUN. We have a block based on <customer_order_items> table, when our users edit the items, they want to see some summarized data : i.e. total dollar so far? total order quantity so far? So we just make a few <display items> as summary of some fields. It works perfectly fine as long as the number of rows displayed in the FORM [Quoted] less than 50 lines. If an order has more than 200 rows ( data NOT necessarily saved in the database ) , after a user keyins ( or edits)
a summary field, there is a considerable delay ( like 5 seconds) when the user
wants move the cursor. I understand it's the SUMMARY that causes the delay because if I don't use the
summary field the FORMS processing is much faster.

Suggestions sought: How can we get the LIVE Summary data as the user edits a from of larger number of rows without perceived delay? Any suggestions and advices are greatly appreciated.

Sean Zhang
mailto:sean_at_cnfei.com Received on Fri May 21 1999 - 19:50:17 CEST

Original text of this message