Re: Forms 5, Summary items TOO SLOW!!!

From: Mark Gumbs <mgumbs--AT--hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:19:00 +0100

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] Not being able to see your code or your form, i'm guessing at a few things here.

1.
[Quoted]  Are you populating your summary fields by using a post-query trigger?

If you are, make sure that the code in the post query trigger is 'tuned' and [Quoted] [Quoted] uses relevant indexes etc to maximise speed. Also, use an explicit cursor [Quoted] in your post-query trigger as opposed to a select ?? into ?? from table since this doubles up processing because the trigger fires the query twice, [Quoted] once to see if the too_many_rows exception needs to be raised and once for the actual query.

2.
[Quoted] Also, have you got some kind of counter in your form like 'Record 1 of 200'? [Quoted] [Quoted] If so, how are you finding out that you have 200 records? If you use the dreaded last_record, get your record count, first record method in your block, this will also make your processing slower because post-query is fired 200 times! Use count query before interrogating the block.

3.
The first time you return your results, save the first total or totals in a [Quoted] hidden field. When the user updates something, just subtract the old value [Quoted] from the hidden field and add the new. This will save interrogating the DB [Quoted] after every user move.

Hope something from the above helps,

Mark