Re: Forms 4.5 question

From: Andrew D. Arenson <arenson_at_swan.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: 08 Oct 1998 17:15:31 -0500

"Lisa F. Miller" <luv_at_ornl.gov> writes:

> I have 2 blocks, BLOCKA & BLOCKB, which have a one-to-many
> relationship. BLOCKB is a multi-record block. If the value of item
> BLOCKA.FIELD1 changes, I need to recalculate value BLOCKB.FIELD1 for
> every record row in that block. Does anyone know of a way to deal with
> each record row in a multi-record block without actually navigating to
> that block? If I update BLOCKB.FIELD1 when the
> BLOCKA.FIELD1-POST_CHANGE trigger, I can only update the first record in
> BLOCKB. I cannot navigate to BLOCKB to loop thru the records there
> because "any built-in routine that initiates navigation is
> restricted...and are illegal in triggers that fire in response to
> navigation". Is there another way to determine that BLOCKA.FIELD1 has
> changed so that I can navigate to BLOCKB? Is there a way to mass change
> records in BLOCKB without actually being in BLOCKB? Any help would be
> appreciated.

I've found the same problem and am looking for an answer as well. In my case, what I'd like to do is update a field in every record of a multi-row block anytime a new record is added. I'm trying to maintain an integer sequence that keeps the records in order. Anything I put into, for instance, the 'WHEN-CREATE-RECORD' trigger, in order to navigate (like next_record, previous_recorde, laster_record, etc.) generates a run time 'illegal' error.

Is there some way to reference a specific record of a block?

Andy

--
Andrew D. Arenson            | http://gc.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/cgi-bin/andy/andy
Baylor College of Medicine   | arenson_at_bcm.tmc.edu        (713)  H 520-7392