Block Corruption in empty pages in Oracle 11g

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:08:15 -0700 (PDT)

I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i. On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g. However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty pages.
Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g; I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not reported by rman,

Another strange thing I noticed:
1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted blocks.
2. When I do expdp no errors are reported. So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?

Any insights in above will be appreciated. Received on Wed Aug 04 2010 - 22:08:15 CDT

Original text of this message