Re: Block Corruption in empty pages in Oracle 11g

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 05:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

zigzag:

> I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i.
> On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are
> reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release
> of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g.
> However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data
> and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty
> pages.
> Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has
> Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g;
> I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not
> reported by rman,
>
> Another strange thing I noticed:
> 1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
> blocks.
> 2. When I do expdp no errors are reported.
> So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?
>
> Any insights in above will be appreciated.

I have not seen anything similar in 11.1.0.7 ...

My experience with any block corruption issues has always been storage related or from unexpected system failures ... in other words shaky hardware in one form or another.

Any reason you are not patched up to 11.1.0.7.4 ? I have seen some hpux specific things in the bug lists but not looked closely since we do not run any databases on hpux any longer. Received on Thu Aug 05 2010 - 07:32:44 CDT

Original text of this message