Re: Block Corruption in empty pages in Oracle 11g

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:08:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 15, 8:41 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:

> > > Yes,  I have read the documentation. Based on the documenation; my
> > > block corruption is in unused blocks; i.e.; thes eblocks are not being
> > > used by current data and indexes. But, I get errors when doing delete
> > > or truncate; so documentaion is not correct or dbv is provding
> > > incorret information.
>
> > Based on documentaion, I cannot figure out
> > Questions remain why corrupt table I can do:
> > 1. select without error.
> > 2. insert without error
> > 2. but truncare gives error
> > 3. delete of all the rows gives error; one may be able to delete some
> > rows; but do not know which ones.
>
> > So either dbv output is misleading or I do not unserstand what does it
> > mean?
>
> Have you given thought to using the DBMS_REPAIR package to either fix
> or skip these corrupt blocks?  You can read here:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/repair...
>
> to provide a step-by-step method for using the package in situations
> such as yours.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot for your respose. For some reason dbms_repair packacge does not do what is suppoed to do. In my many years of dba caeer; first time I am encountering block corruption to my surpise I fouud dbms_repair packacge does not work. I had posted problem with dbms_repair in a forum in Oarcle General News Grop on technet and no one could
tell me why dbms_repai doe snot work. Received on Mon Aug 16 2010 - 23:08:35 CDT

Original text of this message