Re: Oracle RAC

From: Terry Dykstra <tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:29:42 GMT

"John Hurley" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:0c1d5a22-a033-4a48-8e06-902c6dcbcc64_at_l9g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... On Sep 3, 8:43 am, wa..._at_kutztown.edu (Jim Watts) wrote:

snip

> Everyone thank you for the information.
>
> The choice of Oracle on Windows was not mine.
>
> The reason that RAC is being looked into is to allow for high availability
> during registration and to prevent people from having to come in after
> hours
> to flip hardware around for a failure.
>
> I understand that there are other possible options. But I have to cover
> all
> my bases.

The argument is that unless you have some very very strong in house expertise you are likely to get less uptime ( more downtime ) in a RAC configuration than you are in a single server configuration. Plus that expertise has to be available pretty much immediately 24 x 7 x 365.

When you toss in the idea of running RAC on a windows based server that kind of magnifies this type of issue.

The reliability/availability of a unix/linux server tends to be in the 99.9 percent range. ( Some might argue that linux is more like 99.8 ).

Many many years ago "if" one was running oracle on a windows based server it was not uncommon to have to plan a weekly if not daily reboot of the server. Not necessarily oracle based problems but from the operating system.

That left a very bad taste in many people's experience of oracle on windows. Some if not all of those types of considerations may not be so valid any longer ( no real idea thank you very much ).

You probably won't get this much honest real world experience from a 3rd party oracle partner trying to push a RAC windows based system sales opportunity.

In our shop we run W3K and databases run for months in a row without ever needing to shutdown. Now if you insist on installing every MS Security patch every time new ones come out, obviously you cannot achieve that kind of uptime.

--
Terry Dykstra