Re: A modern DBA is mentored by a database.

From: joel garry <>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 3, 2:47 am, Mladen Gogala <> wrote:
> Na Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:44:35 -0700, napisao:
> > I love Oracle database software, but if they don't change stuff really
> > fast, I honestly think they will go the way of any number of also-rans
> > in about ten to 15 years (if that long).
> My sentiments, exactly. The company that I am working for just started a
> pilot project of moving one office application to PostgreSQL.  If that
> ends well, there will be more to come.
> --

I have a feeling Larry understands this, having long ago said apps are the future growth, and having bought Sun with it's baggage, I mean, open software, which is not just java. I'm sure he also understands that there is great economic profitability in maturing technology, such as $47.5K US per processor. I'm sure he also enjoys shooting at other people's feet and making them dance.

I don't think CIO's, much less DBA's, have much influence in spending money to strategically change companies technological direction these days. Specific situations maybe, but overall, these is dustbowl days.

-- is bogus.
Except gummint contractors.  New contracts logjam?
But they tend to already have Oracle site licenses.