Re: A modern DBA is mentored by a database.

From: <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 3, 12:53 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> I have a feeling Larry understands this, having long ago said apps are
> the future growth,

He keeps saying that, but look at this from their most recent 10K.

"New software license revenues from database and middleware products represented 72%, 68% and 71% of our new software license revenues in fiscal 2009, 2008 and 2007, respectively."

...and further down...

"New software license revenues from applications software represented 28%, 32% and 29% of new software license revenues in fiscal 2009, 2008 and 2007, respectively."

An increasing source of income is their support contracts (without which the license update would be useless)

"Our software license updates and product support revenues represented 50% of total revenues in fiscal 2009, and 46% of total revenues in both fiscal 2008 and 2007. "

They don't break out these between db/middleare and apps. All I know is a growing percentage of their revenue is from database/middleware, while the percentage of revenue from applications is lower now than it was two years ago. Obviously, they have bought a lot of companies in the mean time and I don't know how that is reflected in those percentages. However, they are what they are.

With all of the cloud computing (does any remember ASP's about a decade ago) talk, I think you would see more of a buildup of revenues for Oracle from third parties buying db/middleware to write apps they would host in the cloud, rather than buying all of Oracle's apps to host in the cloud.

I continue to say they will have problems. Does he drop more money in his change jar in a day than I get paid in a year? Sure. He's obviously a smart guy, but I still think problems loom.

> and having bought Sun with it's baggage, I mean,
> open software, which is not just java.

I'm not sure what you mean here?

> I'm sure he also enjoys shooting at
> other people's feet and making them dance.

I'm sure you're right :) Received on Thu Sep 03 2009 - 12:50:40 CDT

Original text of this message