Re: Date Modified on logfiles not changing

From: Terry Dykstra <>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:23:45 GMT

"joel garry" <> wrote in message On Sep 2, 3:28 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <> wrote:
> I have a database on W3K where the Date Modified (as shown in
> windows explorer) is stuck on 07/07/2009 6:42PM. That's the time that the
> instance was last started.
> But looking in v$log and v$logfile I can see that the filenames and
> timestamps are all correct. So this is a mystery to me. Anyone ever seen
> this behavior?
> --
> Terry Dykstra

(Sorry for previous brain-damaged reply, for those who see it even though it is now deleted. Been a crazy day.)

I believe this is because Oracle reuses the log files, so it just keeps them open from when the instance is started. I bet if you create a new one, or offline/online one, you'll see the newer date. Don't see this on other platforms.

-- is bogus.

With 9i I don't see this behavior either.

Terry Dykstra