Re: NATIONAL CHARACTERSET

From: Pete L <pmlewis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:12:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 6:10 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jul 29, 1:43 pm, Pete L <pmle..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I really do think it is about time there was some common civility
> > introduced into this newsgroup.
>
> > Mr Bakker - the point that you make is absolutely correct. However
> > your tone jars and is basically rude in the extreme. I do not seek to
> > make excuses for the failure of people to read the ready available
> > documentation but it was your own choice to reply to the OP and it
> > would have been quite sufficient to give a simple web link to the
> > Oracle documentation. This would also have saved you some time as well
> > as some wear and tear to your keyboard.
>
> > Pete
>
> That would be true if it were the first post by the OP, but there's
> some history there.  I agree that it might be better for everyone if
> Sybrand learned tact, but he's been around here as long as anyone, so
> I wouldn't expect him to change.  I'm sure Sybrand has his reasons,
> maybe everyone should think about what they might be, and not
> contribute to the problem of flamage.  Personally, I picture him as a
> gruff staff sergeant, though I'm pretty sure that's way off, it's just
> how I cope.  As one who habitually points people at specific docs in
> order to give them the idea that they need to learn to search the
> docs... I think he's right more often than not (and probably way more
> than that) when he complains about people not doing their own
> research.
>
> I originally wrotehttp://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htmto get
> everyone on the same civility page, always willing to improve it.
>
> Top-posting is frowned upon in this group, by the way.
>

> > On Jul 28, 9:22 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> > > What is the practical gain of online documentation, when you can use a
> > > newsgroup to have someone look it up on your behalf?
>
> > > Thank you so much for asking yet another doc question, showing you
> > > couldn't be bothered to LOOK UP the difference
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Joke page predicts Chino Hills earthquake:  http://notthelatimes.com/

Fair enough. No individual actually *has* to reply to questions, so if one chooses to
do so then surely they should endeavour to do so with courtesy and tact.

But effectively justifying brusque and rude replies with the excuse that an OP has a
history of dumb questions almost borders - without wishing to offend - on the
pusillanimous. I'm not into flaming, I'm just very tired of reading these sorts of replies,
no matter who posts them. I'm sure I am not alone.

My apologies for my previous top posting,

Keep up your good - and voluntary - work, it is greatly appreciated.

Pete Received on Thu Jul 31 2008 - 01:12:14 CDT

Original text of this message