Re: how much swap for 10g on a 4Gb RAM system?

From: obakesan <pellicleundies_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:19:52 GMT

Hi

In article <Xns9AEBBC7F8CE24anacedenthotmailcom_at_69.16.185.247>, "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>It is not completely clear, at least to this reader,
>exactly what flavor of *nix you have.

right! pardon me its RHEL4 ...

# uname -r
2.6.9-22.ELsmp
# uname -v
#1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:32:14 EDT 2005

other system information is:
MemTotal: 3886992 kB

# grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo

model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+

>Some/many/most *nix do not require a dedicate partition for swap.
>You can use dd to create a "swap file" on any volume you want &
>include this new file to the existing swapspace.
>(or at least I have done so multiple times.)

yep, and I can also probably boot from a liveCD and repartition my drive to give the swap partition greater space too. I've heard (but have not confirmed) that my version of Linux can't access swap bigger than 2gig.

the reason I ask is that for my small loads (this is a box for study on) I wonder what the reason is for the needs of such amounts of swapspace?

I've installed and have it running at the moment and I just never see anything using my swap area at all. Given the load on the system (almost none) that isn't a surprise. If this were a commercial box with real commercial pressures I would be wondering if it might benefit from more.

I don't like the 'enigma' of black box stuff which many proprietary systems seem to be, and Oracle seems to be rather closed when it comes to internal operations (justifiably). Accordingly I thought I'd ask if anyone's done it (apart from me) and what their results (or errors) may have been.

:-)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply Received on Thu Jul 31 2008 - 01:19:52 CDT

Original text of this message