From: Laurenz Albe <>
Date: 29 Jul 2008 08:58:04 GMT

astalavista <> wrote:
> What the practical difference/utility beween CHARACTERSET and
> In other words why NATIONAL CHARACTERSET was introduced ?

The following is only my interpretation.

Oracle adopted UNICODE rather slowly, and it is not until recently that they started recommending an UTF-8 character set for the database.

Before, if you wanted UNICODE columns, you had to use the national character set for those.

So I would say it is a leftover from those days, but a leftover that can come handy: if you have an old database that was created with a single byte character set, you can still have UNICODE columns in it without having to recreate the whole database.

Laurenz Albe Received on Tue Jul 29 2008 - 03:58:04 CDT

Original text of this message