From: joel garry <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 29, 1:43 pm, Pete L <> wrote:
> I really do think it is about time there was some common civility
> introduced into this newsgroup.
> Mr Bakker - the point that you make is absolutely correct. However
> your tone jars and is basically rude in the extreme. I do not seek to
> make excuses for the failure of people to read the ready available
> documentation but it was your own choice to reply to the OP and it
> would have been quite sufficient to give a simple web link to the
> Oracle documentation. This would also have saved you some time as well
> as some wear and tear to your keyboard.
> Pete

That would be true if it were the first post by the OP, but there's some history there. I agree that it might be better for everyone if Sybrand learned tact, but he's been around here as long as anyone, so I wouldn't expect him to change. I'm sure Sybrand has his reasons, maybe everyone should think about what they might be, and not contribute to the problem of flamage. Personally, I picture him as a gruff staff sergeant, though I'm pretty sure that's way off, it's just how I cope. As one who habitually points people at specific docs in order to give them the idea that they need to learn to search the docs... I think he's right more often than not (and probably way more than that) when he complains about people not doing their own research.

I originally wrote to get everyone on the same civility page, always willing to improve it.

Top-posting is frowned upon in this group, by the way.

> On Jul 28, 9:22 pm, wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:26:14 +0200, "astalavista" <>
> > wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >What the practical difference/utility beween CHARACTERSET and
> > >In other words why NATIONAL CHARACTERSET was introduced ?
> > >Thanks for your lights
> > What is the practical gain of online documentation, when you can use a
> > newsgroup to have someone look it up on your behalf?
> > Thank you so much for asking yet another doc question, showing you
> > couldn't be bothered to LOOK UP the difference
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA

-- is bogus.
Joke page predicts Chino Hills earthquake: