Re: Backup of large databases

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:19:35 -0700

On Oct 26, 4:53 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am still on Oracle 8.1.6.1 on HP UNIX 11, I am using RMAN for
> backups. We are going to setup a large data warehouse which is
> expected to grow to 500GB. My main concerns is backup times taken by
> database backups. Currently, for 20GB database size, full backups take
> 12 hours to complete, I am using RMAN with default parameters and only
> one channel is being used:
> Allocate channel ch1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
>
> I think reason backups take so long is Network band width. Our servers
> reside in a local data center but backups are done over WAN in central
> data center where all Netbackup tape servers and tape drives reside.
> We cannot move our databases to central data center.
>
> Only parameters which I know to experiment are usng multiple channels
> and tuning some init.ora parameters documented in RMAN manual.
>
> I will appreciate any other ideas.

RMAN at 8.1.6.x wasn't exactly really stable exactly.

I backup a much larger database to tape in less than an hour. Can you get a bigger pipe over the network for the backup traffic or move to a local tape unit?

You might want to look at disk based backups? Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 19:19:35 CDT