Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:04:17 -0700

On Oct 26, 7:22 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 8:21 am, zino <antony6..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > why our DBA refuse to give us permission on PLUSTRACE ???
> > does that role expose the database to any security flaw ???
> > I need to set the AUTOTRACE to understand how the sql script is
> > functionning, but our DBA refuse to give us permission to PLUSTRACE.
> > View that I'm new to oracle, is there other way to analyse what the
> > script is doing other than setting AUTOTRACE.
> > thanks for help
>
> Look at what Tom Kyte has to say and how to explain the usage ...
>
> http://asktom.oracle.com
>
> He covers it well in several of his books additionally.
>
> Not surprised that other responders to this thread are off base ...

Zino, you should always include your full Oracle version in a post.

I do not consider autotrace as being a necessity. Regular explain plan is usually good enough. I suspect the DBA does not want developers running poorly performing SQL on production in order to get an autotrace to tune the SQL with when the developer should have just ran explain plan first. With version 9+ the v$sql_plan view is also available so that you can look at the actual plan used by the SQL that ran.

plustrace role
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:960830020268

using explain plan
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:111012348061

set autotrace on
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:5671636641855

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 19:04:17 CDT