Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:11:51 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:

> I do not consider autotrace as being a necessity.

I do.

> Regular explain plan is usually good enough.

The emphasis being, in my oopinion on "usually."

> I suspect the DBA does not want
> developers running poorly performing SQL on production in order to get
> an autotrace to tune the SQL with when the developer should have just
> ran explain plan first.

Here I agree and I will go one step further. No developer should ever have access to a production database except as an end-user utilizing the application. I've yet to see a legitimate reason for any developer to have production access privs.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington