Re: Backup of large databases

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 06:20:07 -0700

On Oct 26, 8:19 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 4:53 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > I am still on Oracle 8.1.6.1 on HP UNIX 11, I am using RMAN for
> > backups. We are going to setup a large data warehouse which is
> > expected to grow to 500GB. My main concerns is backup times taken by
> > database backups. Currently, for 20GB database size, full backups take
> > 12 hours to complete, I am using RMAN with default parameters and only
> > one channel is being used:
> > Allocate channel ch1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
>
> > I think reason backups take so long is Network band width. Our servers
> > reside in a local data center but backups are done over WAN in central
> > data center where all Netbackup tape servers and tape drives reside.
> > We cannot move our databases to central data center.
>
> > Only parameters which I know to experiment are usng multiple channels
> > and tuning some init.ora parameters documented in RMAN manual.
>
> > I will appreciate any other ideas.
>
> RMAN at 8.1.6.x wasn't exactly really stable exactly.
>
> I backup a much larger database to tape in less than an hour. Can you
> get a bigger pipe over the network for the backup traffic or move to a
> local tape unit?
>
> You might want to look at disk based backups?- Hide quoted text -

If I backup to disk using RMAN and then backup the backupsets (on disk) to tape, why do you think backup times will decrease. Also, since my database size is 500GB, Let us say I want to keep a month's backups on disk everyweek I do full backup and on weekdsays do incremental backup, won't I need 2000GB to 25000GB anount of disk sapce. Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 08:20:07 CDT