Backup of large databases

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:53:07 -0700

I am still on Oracle 8.1.6.1 on HP UNIX 11, I am using RMAN for backups. We are going to setup a large data warehouse which is expected to grow to 500GB. My main concerns is backup times taken by database backups. Currently, for 20GB database size, full backups take 12 hours to complete, I am using RMAN with default parameters and only one channel is being used:
 Allocate channel ch1 type 'SBT_TAPE';

I think reason backups take so long is Network band width. Our servers reside in a local data center but backups are done over WAN in central data center where all Netbackup tape servers and tape drives reside. We cannot move our databases to central data center.

Only parameters which I know to experiment are usng multiple channels and tuning some init.ora parameters documented in RMAN manual.

I will appreciate any other ideas. Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 15:53:07 CDT