Re: Again, Solaris or Linux for RAC

From: gerryt <lepsysinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:36:19 -0000

On Oct 26, 3:43 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 9:03 am, emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > Our application will potentially have a few thousand concurrent user.
Yawn
> > I know it has been debated many times, but most of the thread are
> > dated before 2000. A lot of new things happened on the market these
> > years.

Yes now English on Usenet is practically extinct for starters...

> > Now, solaris is not that awefully expensive, Linux has evolved as
> > well.
> > What will you pick, solaris or linux for your RAC?
> > According to the sevey by IOUG (http://www.ioug.org/Research.pdf),
> > Oracle on Solaris will decline from 49% to 43%, and Linux will
> > increase from 34% to 44% by April 2007. But they never publish the
> > new poll, is that really happening?
> You know it really depends on who you listen to. There's been a
> couple of responses from the usual oracle marketing cheerleaders and
> cdos spammers here. After Larry brought the penguins on stage last
> year at OOW 2006 there is not a lot of latitude for them expressing
> any opinion but the party line.
> There's not a lot of independence in the IOUG so beware and caveat
> emptor.
> Sun has been bringing it on the hardware side in the last several
> years. Not a real choice for them as they were dealing with
> survivability.

Yes boring 8 core multi-threaded CPUs running on Solaris 10 .. : >

> Lots of people are looking seriously at sun and solaris. An
> enterprise ready operating system tried and proven over the last 2
> decades.

Thank you - I couldnt agree more. The day Lie-nux scales like Solaris on Sun hardware may never come. This isnt an issue for most installations
however. If you have been around as long as I you'll have seen a lot of good things tank for the stupidest of reasons.

As for Sun support that seems to vary greatly from region to region. It seems to be very good where I live but I hear complaints out of Europe
from time to time on Usenet. What I do find is that if you are any good at what you do
you tend to be more knowlegable than the vendor about most stuff after a while : /
At least the front line support people anyway. Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 19:36:19 CDT