Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 09:52:35 -0700

On Mar 22, 12:14 pm, "Cristi" <cmi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, you may want to have rman backup AND remove your archive logs.
> > If you just go out and delete "old" logs outside of rman, the catalog/
> > control file will not be "aware" of it. Then you'll end up running
> > rman crosschecks and "delete expired". RMAN can take care of that for
> > you, and save you the hassle. Of course, you never mentioned if you
> > were using the flash recovery area, in which case this becomes moot --
> > but there are other issues to worry about (e.g. space pressure). For
> > example, keep 1 day of logs that have been backed up:
>
> If I don't use the shell script to delete the old logs and call:
> DELETE OBSOLETE;
>
> before
> DISK FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p.rman';
> BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
>
> will that clear out the previous archivelogs?
>
> RUN {
> ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE
> DISK FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p.rman';
> DELETE OBSOLETE;
> BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
> RELEASE CHANNEL ch1;
>
> }
>
> I am not using the flash recovery area.

Well, if you don't see the "old" archive logs on the system, then I suppose so. You can see obsolete backups in rman with:

REPORT OBSOLETE; Also, if you want to "kinda test out" your recoverability, you can use the "restore validate" rman command. It would be better than not testing at all. Received on Thu Mar 22 2007 - 11:52:35 CDT